Monday, April 02, 2012

Kiwanis Music and Speech Festival

Last week was crazy hectic for us. Tigana had three solo vocal performances, two school choir performances, and four solo recitations in Kiwanis Music and Speech Arts Festival this year.

Vocal Solo - Girls 13 & Under: - Own Choice:
Caro mio ben - G. Giordani
Musical Theatre Solo 13 & Under:
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again - A. Loyd Webber
Contemporary/Modern Composers 13 & Under:
Beautiful - Duncan

Canadian Poetry Solo 14 & Under:
Lonely Land by A. J. M Smith
Narrative Dramatic Poetry 14 & Under:
The Highwayman Part I - A. L. Noyes
Solo Scene-Shakespeare 14 & Under:
A Midsummer's Night Dream, Act III Sc 3 - Helena
Solo Scene-Contemporary 14 & Under:
The Shape of a Girl - Joan MacLeod

Coincidentally, New West Theatre School's end of year performance was also last Wed evening. Which adds up to 10 different performances in seven days. . . .

Tigana took first place in all three vocal categories; she took first place for Highwayman, and second place for everything else. I was particularly impressed with her rendition of Caro mio ben, so help out a proud father and click on the link to view.

I have to say that I was very impressed by the quality of the feedback from the adjudicators. All three of the ones I observed with were extremely positive and supportive with all the contestants, and gave such helpful feedback, that I'd have to say it was some of the best teaching I've ever observed. Obviously they had the kids in the perfect 'teachable moment', but I swear I learned tons myself.

Kasia was also enrolled in New West Theatre School, though in a younger class so an earlier performance Wed night than Tigana.(Make that eleven performances in seven days for us to attend.) Kasia will likely start recitation lessons next year, and has already started vocal lessons, so will likely enter one or two Kiwanis categories too. So next year should be pretty interesting!

No comments: