Monday, March 21, 2005

Not Just Us....

Tigana had her birthday party this weekend for the kids from her old school, and it was the first time we had seen many of the parents since making our decision to move Tigana to another school. We learned that another three children were being pulled from the same class this month. We aren't particularly close to the other parents involved and hadn't discussed our dissatisfaction with them prior to making our own decision, so we were all making the decision to leave independently. Which should be sending a message to someone somewhere. How is it possible to lose 3 students in one month and not recognize that there may be problems in the school? Even if the administration believes that we are all over-reacting, I would think that managing 'difficult parents' was part of the job. Dissatisfaction with the school among parents is itself a problem, even if one believes their concerns are groundless. Which, obviously, I do not; in my view the problems are sufficiently real and pressing for me to get my daughter the heck out of there. I wonder what it will take before someone in authority is willing to acknowledge that there are problems and respond appropriately? And I wonder how long the problems will fester before blowing up in some incident. Hopefully, they'll get lucky and nothing spectacular will happen – I'm in no hurry to say "I told you so."

No comments: